This recipe was created in collaboration with Emily Davies, of Wholesome Slice. Follow her Instagram for more recipes like this one!
This is a delicious soup to enjoy or to freeze to enjoy throughout the month. Before freezing soup, I portion it out into silicon cupcake moulds, then freeze. Once frozen, I transfer it to a container and store it in the freezer - this way, you can portion out your soup per person and it heats up faster too!
The recipe for my lentil stew is very versatile - you can use whatever veggies you want! Here are my guidelines:
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tbsp cumin & mustard seeds
1 c onions, diced
2 tbsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp ginger powder
1/2 tbsp cumin powder
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp sea salt
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 c mixed vegetables, diced (I used, potato, sweet potato, asparagus, tomatoes)
1 c dried lentils (red or green)
2 c leafy dark greens (I used rainbow swiss chard + stems)
5 c vegetable stock/water
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in cumin & mustard seeds. Once you start to hear the seeds pop, add in garlic and onions and stir around for 1-2 minutes. Then add in remaining spices to incorporate - heat for 1 minute before adding in mixed vegetables. Stir well and cook for 1 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add in dark greens and lentils - stir to incorporate into the mixture. Then cover with veg stock/water, cover pot and bring to a boil.
3. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and keep covered for 15 minutes.
4. Uncover, and stir frequently for another 15 minutes or until it has reduced to desired consistency (more stew like = longer time reducing OR more soup like = less time reducing). 5. Adjust salt to taste.
6. Serve with lime cashew sauce (lime juice, lime zest, soaked cashews, garlic, salt, water) & avocado slices if you want!